Friday, January 12, 2007

Happy birthday, dear Arnold!

Arnold was off checking on doors -- they'll be here next week -- when I got to the house Friday morning, which was perfect.

I squirreled my package away and hung the birthday sign across his bench on the porch.

Mr. B and I were tempted to play his great little game ("What do you notice about the porch?"; it's usually something like newly fluted column edges, or the block soffits, or the new junction with the fence), but resisted and let him see it on his own.

It took him a minute, but then came the big laugh, the wide smile and the handshake.

I had a tray of cupcakes and candles ready, but the timing didn't work out for the group sing of "Happy Birthday": He was on his way a little early to celebrate his 70th with Mike and Lindy in St. Pete.

No comments: