Thursday, February 11, 2010

G'bye Kitty

Universal Cleaners, across from the library parking lot, was sure convenient -- and helpful: When Ref died and I had a dark suit packed and FedExed down, they had that sucker pressed in 15 minutes. (The guy who ran the counter went to Ref's church.) Still, after the first time I paid almost as much to have a shirt cleaned and pressed as I'd paid for the shirt, I tended not to use them much.

I figured something was up when they opened a new location on Flagler. That something turns out to have been a plan to demolish the '50s cinder-block building and put up a house. And so the walls, with their iconic mama cats licking kittens clean, crumbled this week.

You always have to wonder what the historic architecture commission is smoking, but particularly when it arrives at definitions of "contributing structures."

No comments: